Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Oh Maggie Mae....

Or should I say, Margaret Mills (when I am stern with her).

My heart is officially breaking right now. We are being faced with the hardest decision in our adult lives, of deciding when to put Maggie down. What an awful decision it is, especially being so pregnant with raging hormones.

For those of you who know Maggie, know how sweet and good she is. She has been such a wonderful, loving dog. I got her my Junior year at Meredith, and she instantly became apart of me as one of my most dear friends, and baby. I always like to think, she showed me how to love. We really grew up together, through college, road trips, moves, break ups, marriage, and having Emma. She and I came as a package.

Over the last year, plus...Maggie has been taking a down turn. Starting last Mother's day, it was actually my first Mother's day, and it was awful. Since then she really has been holding on, but over the last few months really has taken a decline. Maggie has really bad arthritis, and has a hard time getting around a fast paced house hold with soon-to-be two children. She also is loosing control of her bowl movements, which is tricky with kids. Speaking of kids, Emma loves Maggie I know just as much as we do. Every day when we get home from Libby's house, she gets SO excited to see Maggie. Doggie was one of her very first words, and as you can see through some of the pictures of the blog posts...she loves to go around the house looking at all dog things.

Courtney has been taking Maggie to the Vet, the last few times as it has become just too hard on me to go. She has been on medicine for a while now for her pain. It has been a toss up of when, because one minute she looks like she is struggling and the next minute she is puppy-like. The Vet said we are in a real gray area now, and the time is soon.

I met with one of the OB's in my practice last week, and she recommended to me to lay Maggie to rest before the baby comes, as it will be less stress on me (with less of a risk of any depression, etc) after the baby comes, and also it will be less stressful on Maggie too with another baby. It makes it even harder, as now we are only 2 weeks out to the arrival of the baby. It has been stressful on both Courtney and I. I have been a basket case, and know he is dreading this as well. So, I know I have been praying for peace in my decision, and know it is the time. We will do it this weekend. In the meantime, I will be showering Mags with so many treats, and love...she will probably be sick of me. ;)

Please keep us in your thoughts in the next few days to come.....

2 comments:

  1. So sorry Britt. I love Maggie! We will miss her so much. Please let me know if you need anything or just a hug xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brittany my heart breaks for you! :( I know you, Courtney and Emma will miss her greatly, but just think of how much she will be at peace and how happy she will be to keep an eye on you all from heaven!
    Hugs from Iowa!

    ReplyDelete